Translate

Saturday, August 29, 2026

Selkie

 I have a friend who makes jewellery from Seaweed and is very interested in reseeding the kelp beds. She is interested in all thing's ocean and Celtic origins. She wanted a Selke, so this is my prototype version.




I didn't know whether to give her lighter skin tones, or to keep it in seal colours, so I thought and played with it for ages.
The fabric is synthetic and I didn't know how it would turn out, so I kept going. It sews really well and doesn't fray. Bonus! I folded it around her hip from her shoulder, to give the suggestion of her emerging, so she has one arm still inside the skin.
I also didn't know if I should do a seal-like face, but I kept going to see how/if it would look alright. I still don't know.
Do I give it hair - don't know. I used Macrame cotton as it gives a look of wet hair and it tends to cling to this fabric.
I weighted it with a lead sinker, so it sits flat.
I turned the fins up to indicate the seal aspect, but I could have curved the body a bit more.
I just don't know if it works, because I have never seen one, and all the paintings and drawings are not in the least like this.

No comments:

Free Patterns

Selkie

  I have a friend who makes jewellery from Seaweed and is very interested in reseeding the kelp beds. She is interested in all thing's ...